With vast, untouched national parks, indigenous artwork dating back many thousands of years, & an abundance of native wildlife found nowhere else in the world, an Australia vacation is a magnificent experience
activities & experiences in Australia
There is no end to the wealth of experiences available in a luxury Australia vacation. Incorporating an array of climates, you can be skiing in the morning, horseriding through bushlands in the afternoon and back on the coast in time for a sunset surf. The landscapes and natural regions are utterly breathtaking, but the cities too are wonderfully cultural, verdant and fascinating to explore, with many adventures of their own.
The majority of international flights for an Australia vacation are likely to arrive in Sydney. Though not the true capital, Sydney is the most populace and iconic of Australia’s cities. Its Northern Beaches are the haven of celebrities and entrepreneurs, while the Blue Mountains, just two hours’ drive from the city, provide an immaculate wilderness immersion.
To the south, Victoria and its capital, Melbourne, are the country’s cultural heart. Wilson’s Promontory at the southernmost tip of mainland Australia is a natural wonder of its own, while the culmination of the Great Dividing Range offers snowsports through winter and incredible trekking, mountain biking and horseriding throughout the warmer months.
- Climb the Harbour Bridge, enjoy a guided Opera House visit & take a helicopter ride on an iconic Sydney tour
- Dive into one of the world’s seven natural wonders, the Great Barrier Reef
- Explore the south, from Victoria’s Great Ocean Road and the 12 apostles rock formations to the temperate rainforests of Tasmania
- Meet Australia’s natives at Steve Irwin’s Australia Zoo on your way to the jungles, crocodiles and prehistoric cassowaries of North Queensland
- Watch the sun set over Uluru (Ayer’s Rock) on a luxury tented safari
- Visit stunning East Coast towns, such as Crescent Head, Byron Bay and Noosa Heads and slide into some warm waves with a surf lesson
- Wander Melbourne’s many galleries and sample the culture and flavors of Brunswick Street
destinations in Australia
The beauty of a luxury Australia vacation is that you can have a little of everything. In Sydney alone you can swim, surf and sunbathe on stunning, world-class beaches, wander incredible botanical gardens, see much of Australia’s unique fauna, take an exquisite dinner cruise on the Hawkesbury River and explore the untouched wilderness of the Blue Mountains. This diversity spans across the entire country, and with the assistance of your Travel Designer, you can craft a vacation that will fulfil all of your desires.
- The Great Barrier Reef. One of the world’s official seven natural wonders, the Great Barrier Reef has existed for millions of years and is still home to prehistoric creatures, such as the nautilus and, on rare occasions, saltwater crocodiles. Whether you view it from the comfort of a glass-bottomed boat, floating on the surface or diving deeper into the immaculate waters, the reef is teeming with life and spectacular to observe.
- Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park. Formerly known as Ayer’s Rock, Uluru lies within Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park. A profoundly important region of indigenous culture, along with the nearby Olga formations, Uluru harbours as many fascinating tales and history as it does incredible nature, scenery and sunsets. With luxury tented safari options available, you can experience a little taste of Africa in an iconic setting for a luxury Australia vacation.
- The Daintree Rainforest. Covering 465 square miles (1,200km²), the Daintree has plenty of sights to explore. Declared by Sir David Attenborough as ‘the most extraordinary place on Earth’, it is home to over 400 endangered species, 65 percent of the entire country’s bat and butterfly species and even glow-in-the-dark flora. It is 40 million years older than the Amazon, with many plant and animal species being the most primitive in the world.
- Tasmania. For a more temperate wilderness, the Apple Isle of Tasmania is truly breathtaking. Home to almost all wild Tasmanian devils, you can also witness white kangaroos, giant platypus, prickly echidnas and many more endemic animal species. The Tarkine is a rich and diverse ecosystem, with many walks and drives running through its ancient forests, while the rugged coastline can rapidly change from exquisite beaches to towering cliffs. Tasmania is an incredibly creative little island, about half the size of Pennsylvania, with local produce including award-winning cheeses and wines, seafood and olive oil and offers mouthwatering farm-to-table foodie tours.
- Island Life. Australia is the world’s largest island, though it also boasts a further 8,200 islands around its extensive coastline. From Magnetic Island and the Whitsundays to Lord Howe, Kangaroo and Rottnest – home of the adorable quokka – there are so many to choose from and each with their own appeal on a luxury Australia vacation. Of them all though, Lizard Island has to be one of the finest. This secluded luxury paradise is the northernmost island of the Great Barrier Reef, its splendours quite literally on your doorstep. Explore the reef by boat, kayak or stand-up paddleboard, relax on one of the island’s numerous private beaches designed for absolute privacy, even from fellow guests, the azure ocean, nature walks, day spa and secluded beaches will make you feel like the only person in the world.
Anything is possible on an Australia vacation, from ultimate, inner-city luxury to your very own private island for just you and your guests. Depending upon your desires of location and experience, you can enjoy nights upon the open ocean, a blanket of stars in the desert, the artisan bustle of Melbourne or the solitude of a Tasmanian lake.
With so much space and so few people, solitude is always just around the corner. This can appeal to a gamut of travellers with nature, adventure, excitement and romance all on offer. Seclusion abounds in Tasmania, and Pumphouse Point is a romantic retreat worthy of Hollywood. The converted 1940s pumphouse lies on tranquil Lake St Clair, the peaceful waters surrounded by old-growth forests, with bush tracks to explore, a complete spa and numerous activities to keep you entertained in this wilderness paradise.
Sydney is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, filled with vast botanical gardens, the wonders and history of the iconic harbour, a wealth of artistic visual and musical creativity and the majestic Parramatta River sweeping through it, beneath the towering Harbour Bridge and into the expansive harbour. Choose from state-of-the-art hotels, beachside residences or even floating accommodation, in Sydney, the world is your oyster, and always freshly shucked.
For a hint of Africa on a luxury Australia vacation, venture to Latitude 131º. Set in the shadow of Uluru, this premium tented retreat is enveloped by the captivating deep red desert, basking in the majesty of the monolithic landmark. Romantic and luxurious, it is also the ultimate venue for avid photographers and hikers, with the expansive Central Australian Desert surrounding you on all sides.
The Daintree Rainforest is worthy of a long weekend, with so much to see and do. Ideal for nature lovers, this region has a huge diversity of accommodations, but the Daintree Eco Lodge is, in our humble opinion, the only place to stay for a true rainforest immersion.
BEST TIME: All year round, but Mar-Apr & Sep-Oct are the most forgiving periods
CLIMATE: Hugely varied. LOW: 27-34ºF (-3-1ºC) in Victoria’s winter, Jun – Jul / HIGH: 75-102ºF (24-39ºC) in Queensland’s summer, Dec – Jan
SEASONS: Technically four, but can roughly be divided into summer (Oct-Mar) and winter (Apr-Sep). In the far north, DRY: May – Oct / WET: Nov – Apr
BEST FOR: With so much to offer, everyone will enjoy aspects of Australia
Australia is a land of opportunity, presenting as little or as much as you desire. It is highly worthwhile to be open to these opportunities and allow your Travel Designer to explore your wishes and suggest an array of experiences to suit.
HOW LONG SHOULD I SPEND IN AUSTRALIA?
At roughly the same size as mainland USA, you could spend the rest of your life exploring this wonderful country and still have so much to see. However, a well-planned 2-3-week vacation will allow you a sweeping Aussie experience.
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO VISIT AUSTRALIA?
From north to south, Australia’s climate varies greatly – think of the US in reverse, with hot summers in the north and chilly winters in the south. Summer (Nov-Apr) is stiflingly hot and wet in the northern reaches of the country, so best avoided if you are planning to visit the Daintree, Uluru or Far North Queensland. However, this is an exquisite time of year for much of the rest of the country, and you will be able to take full advantage of its 12,000 beaches. Victoria and Tasmania are stunning in the summer, and winter months can be cold, wet and uninviting.
March to May and September to November are the safest months if you plan to travel extensively from north to south.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT FROM ACCOMMODATION IN AUSTRALIA?
From rustic-luxury vineyards in the Barossa Valley to the very best in tented safari camps, Australia has it all. Want your own exclusive island, complete with private chef? No problem. Feel the need for an indulgent spa retreat? Australia has many. Wish to be enveloped in nature? Pick your spot. Luxury hotels scatter the country and exclusive lodges are perfectly poised to take full advantage or the breathtaking landscapes in impeccable style.
Visas are required for most visitors, but inoculations are unnecessary. Do remember that Australia is vast. Driving from Melbourne to Brisbane takes the better part of 24 hours, and that is less than half of one coast. However, internal flights are extensive and regular and transfers can be easily obtained, from city to city, but also to many of the smaller towns, regions and islands.
The Australian dollar is approx. 67c US (at time of writing), and banking needs will rarely be an issue.
As an interesting fact, it is estimated that there are somewhere between 400 and 500 languages spoken in Australia, most of which are indigenous dialects, but English is the official language and the only one you will need on your luxury Australia vacation.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
Wow, wow, wow!! We are back in LA now, recovering from jet lag and still in shock and awe regarding our experience. From the moment we landed in South Africa to the moment we touched down in LA, our experience was seamless and amazing.
- Amy Lundberg
We were thrilled with the trip. It was as good as or better than described at every turn. The prep, attention to detail, willingness to make changes and ensure we were ready and prepared was outstanding. Our Travel Designer was awesome!
- Betsy Robertson
Choosing a safari expert is never easy given the choice and lists upon lists of "top suppliers"....but we made the BEST choice for us....why....because above all, Rothschild listened ....really listened to what we wanted to experience.
- Dawn Jacobs
It was a well organized trip. It was easy to get around since we were guided through all of our itinerary. Everyone was pleasant and very helpful. This is an excellent way to travel. Rothschild Safari did very well and brought a fantastic African experience to us.
- George Kowalski
My trip was beyond AMAZING! I truly enjoyed every moment. The itinerary allowed me to experience a variety of different activities all of which I enjoyed! When I originally thought of going to Africa I was just thinking of safaris. This trip opened my eyes (and my family/friend's) to so much more Africa has to offer.
- Jackie Smith
Trip was PERFECT!! Every single detail was planned out and the accommodations and people were wonderful. This trip exceeded all of our wildest expectations. Every place we stayed was just lovely and each each camp had a different vibe, which was really neat. Everyone we worked with was outstanding.
On behalf of the Moravec’s and the Stone’s……thank you for arranging a trip of a lifetime. Every detail was accounted for and all the recommendations were perfect. It honestly could not have gone any better.
Meggan Woody and Kim Killick were extraordinary at crafting THE PERFECT safari for our family of 8. They both listened (actually 'read' my email) to EXACTLY what we wanted, within the budget that we needed, and miraculously pulled off miracles in obtaining the properties that we wanted!
Every aspect of my trip went according to plan and the plan Rothschild's help me to orchestrate was magnificent! I loved every lodge that I was blessed to be in! They were all very different yet all high end and very accommodating.
It was the most exciting, scenic, inspiring trip we've ever taken. To say it was a trip of a lifetime doesn't begin to capture our experience. Pam Langhoff and the Rothschild team did an outstanding job of helping us plan this trip.
Mary & Rob Johannigman (& family)